Varsity Golf - Fall 2018
Oakton's Golf Team will host a car wash fundraiser on Sunday, August 26 from 9AM to 1PM at Oakton Elementary School on Chain Bridge Road. Please come out to get your car washed, get some free golf tips, and support the team!
Please click on "Fall/Golf/Varsity/News"for important updates regarding Fall 2018 tryouts for OHS Varsity Golf.
2018 Oakton Golf Team
- The 2018 Oakton High School Varsity Golf Season will run from July 31 through mid-October. Tryouts will be held the July 31-August 2 and the top 12 golfers (maximum) will make up the varsity team. During the following three weeks after try-outs, there will be 3 to 4 18-hole tournaments in the area. Once school begins the 9-hole matches will be held after school. The season concludes with Districts and Regionals for qualifying teams and individuals. All 12 golfers will be given the opportunity to play. Tryout procedures along with player expectations and responsibilities are detailed below.
- Try-outs scheduled July 31-August 2, 2018
- Skills Assessments: July 31 at Army Navy Country Club in Fairfax. Time 4:00.
- Playing Assessments: August 1&2 at International CC in Chantilly. Tee times begin at 3:00.
- NOTE: All students interested in trying-out for the OHS Golf team must notify Coach Tim Ritter No Later Than July 25th, 2018 at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Players will be cleared to try out on Thursday, July 26 during walk-in registration at OHS.
- The golf team will be selected on a variety of criteria, including, but not limited to:
- Prior experience playing golf. Tournament and inter-club match experience is a plus.
- A basic knowledge of the rules and etiquette of golf. It is not expected that a person know all The Rules of Golf, but having an understanding of the rules and how to use the rule book is important when participating in tournament and matches.
- Skills assessments including putting, chipping, pitching, sand bunkers and golf swing.
- Playing assessments will be based on 2 to 3 9-hole rounds played during the week of try-outs. The highest 9-hole score for each player will be thrown out. The remainder of the scores will be averaged. Rounds are typically played from the White or Middle set of tees. An average 9-hole score average of 49 or less is the expected target.
- The 2018 OHS Varsity Golf Team will consist of a maximum of 12 players.
- During the month of August practice / tournaments may be scheduled any time during the day, Monday – Thursday. Once school begins on August 28, practice / matches will take place after school, typically beginning at approximately 4:00 p.m. Students will be responsible for their own transportation to practice / matches.
- Tournaments of 18- or 36-holes and a few matches will be played during the month of August. These tournaments are played on weekdays and typically consist of 5 players. It is expected that even though team members may not be participating in the tournament, they should plan to attend to observe and support their teammates.
- During the end of August and September, 9-hole matches will be scheduled after school. These matches will be play at a variety of course throughout Fairfax County. Matches will typically consist of 6 players. It is expected that even though team members may not be participating in a match, they should plan to attend to observe and support their teammates.
- The District and Regional tournaments scheduled in late September / early October are two-day tournaments. The six (6) players who participate will be required to miss two (2) days of school for each event. The top two (2) teams and five (5) low individuals from the District tournament will qualify for the Regional tournament. Non-participating team members are not required to attend these tournaments.
- Participation in tournaments and matches will be based on coaches’ assessments during practices, tournaments and matches. There will be intra-team challenge matches throughout the year to give all players an opportunity to earn a position in tournaments or matches.
- For FCPS required paperwork, including concussion education, please go to the OHS Athletics website, click on fall sports, go to golf, and then click on “Files Links”. These forms must all be completed ahead of tryouts.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Tim Ritter, Head Golf Coach at email@example.com